CONTACT ME:

If you would like to contact me, leave a comment at the bottom of the last post. I moderate all comments before they are posted, so if it has your email I won't publish it.
..........................................................................................
ALL PHOTOS ARE SUBJECT TO COPY RIGHT. DO NOT "PIN", SAVE, OR USE ANY PHOTOS WITH OUT PERMISSION, THANK YOU!

12.20.2011

BECOME AS A LITTLE CHILD.

(THIS IS A LONG POST, BUT I PROMISE IT'S WORTH READING!)
Back in February when we did our first fundraiser for Cole, there was a 5 year old little girl who had a prosthetic leg (when she was an infant she had a bone disease in her leg, her mom had to decide what to do. She decided that she would have the leg amputated in her daughters best interest. Oh, how I admire her...I know how scary it can be making an important decisions for your beloved child). Anyways, this sweet little girl was at the bake sale. She went home & came back with ALL of the money she had been saving. She went to Cole's donation box, reached up & poured every cent she had into Cole's box. This little girl gave Cole EVERY penny she had.  I think about it often...knowing how much this little girl loved my son to give up every cent she had.  There was another family whose children (whom we didn't know) told their mom that they wanted to have a yard sale to sell their toys so they could raise money for Cole.  And a 3rd story...one of my co-workers 8 year old son sent money to work with her, to give to Cole. And 2 other little kids (whom we don't know) who live in Florida, did a small car wash for Cole. King Benjamin says to "become as a child—submissive, meek, humble, patient, and full of love" (Mosiah 3:19). These children taught me what the really means.

Today, by no coincidence, I heard this talk by Elder Kent F. Richards (who is a surgeon)..."I have noted that children are often more naturally accepting of pain and suffering. They quietly endure with humility and meekness. I have felt a beautiful, sweet spirit surrounding these little ones. Thirteen-year-old Sherrie underwent a 14-hour operation for a tumor on her spinal cord. As she regained consciousness in the intensive care unit, she said: “Daddy, Aunt Cheryl is here, and Grandpa Norman and Grandma Brown are here. And Daddy, who is that standing beside you? He looks like you, only taller. He says he’s your brother, Jimmy. (Her uncle Jimmy had died at age 13 of cystic fibrosis). For nearly an hour, Sherrie described her visitors, all deceased family members. Exhausted, she then fell asleep. Later she told her father, “Daddy, all of the children here in the intensive care unit have angels helping them.” To all of us the Savior said: “Behold, ye are little children and ye cannot bear all things now; ye must grow in grace and in the knowledge of the truth. “Fear not, little children, for you are mine...“Wherefore, I am in your midst, and I am the good shepherd.”

Isn't that SO COOL to hear! I love hearing things like that. It lightens my frustrations, my sadness and heals my broken heart. Elder Orson F. Whitney wrote: “No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. It ministers to our education, to the development of such qualities as patience, faith, fortitude, and humility. It is through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation, that we gain the education that we come here to acquire.”

If you know me, you'll know that I am a "planner"...I like to have my ducks in a row and a plan for the future. I want to make sure that Cole's medical needs will always be taken care of...but that is impossible to do...things change, the economy changes, insurance plans change, job's change & when I start thinking of every POSSIBLE scenario I *PANIC*...my heart feels like it's about to pound out of my chest and I feel like I'm about to have a heart attack! But, looking at the big picture reminds me of what's important. If you want to watch or read the rest of Elder Kent F. Richards talk, go HERE.

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!! I love hearing stuff like this too!
    Cole is purley blessed with so much love everywhere! The compassion and generosity of people can be astounding - and its extra special when a child thinks to help out! :)

    ReplyDelete