CONTACT ME:

If you would like to contact me, leave a comment at the bottom of the last post. I moderate all comments before they are posted, so if it has your email I won't publish it.
..........................................................................................
ALL PHOTOS ARE SUBJECT TO COPY RIGHT. DO NOT "PIN", SAVE, OR USE ANY PHOTOS WITH OUT PERMISSION, THANK YOU!

7.20.2011

WHAT DOES A DROP SEIZURE LOOK LIKE?

I decided to post a video of Cole having a cluster of "Drop Seizures" & "Absent Seizures" (at the end of this post) because the day Cole started having them, I knew NOTHING about seizures. I thought a seizure was a grand-mal (where their whole body shakes), but there are actually 40+ different types of seizures. I searched high and low on the internet for a video of seizures to figure out what was wrong with my little boy. I didn't want to believe it & to be honest, I thought if we got to the hospital & he was having them, they would figure out what he needed and "fix" the problem, little did I know what our little boy was in for & how our lives would change. In this video the "Drop Seizure" is obviously when his head drops forward and he falls to the ground. The "Absent Seizure" is very easy to miss & a lot of people don't even know they are having them, in the video, you will see Cole look up at the ceiling move his eyes slightly back and forth or his eyes will be fixed on something. Some people think because these seizures don't "look" as bad as grand-mals that it is better on the person, but a seizure is a seizure and is just as damaging to the brain, especially the "Infantile Spasms" which Cole has as well (he has them the same time as his drop seizures"). However "Infantile Spasms" take a HUGE hit on a child's development and can mentally handicap a child.
(you can pause the music at the VERY bottom of my blog. to see the video better click the you tube writing in the bottom right corner to watch in you tube).

3 comments:

  1. My heart breaks for you guys! His poor brain doesn't get a break from the seizures. His eyes are beautiful, they tell so much about the amazing boy he is! You are in are prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for posting these. it is so important to know what different seizures look like, but few know. i thought of your family tonight while watching extreme makeover weight loss edition (after the bachelorette!) and the mom has a daughter who started having seizures at 2 and had the right side of her brain removed. i wonder what her experience has been like and if there's a way for you guys to get in touch...anyway, i think of your family often, especially after meeting you guys a couple times at home visits with coworkers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The drop seizure in the first video- where Cole falls- is exactly what happens to me! I am thirty and started having fainting/falling spells several times a day three years ago. I now faint/fall between 4-1O times each day. I haven't been diagnosed with epilepsy but the attacks look more and more like drop seizures rather than a severe fainting problem. Thank you so much for posting this. I will keep Cole in my thoughts and prayers.

    sconesail

    ReplyDelete